Hallo meine Lieben! 🙂
Wie viele ja bereits gesehen haben, habe ich gestern meinen ersten Familienvorschlag bekommen. Heute Abend 18:30 Uhr MEZ werde ich dann mit der Familie B. zum ersten Mal skypen. Ich bin sowas von meeeega aufgeregt, ich kann es gar nicht in Worte fassen. o.O
Da ich ein sehr organisierter und geordneter Mensch bin, der gerne plant, habe ich mir natürlich zig verschiedene Fragen rausgesucht, die ich stellen möchte. Damit ihr einen kleinen Überblick bekommt, möchte ich diese Fragen natürlich mit euch teilen, falls ihr auch mal in dieser Situation (1. Skypegespräch) seid und keine Ahnung habt, was ihr alles fragen sollt, was angebracht ist und was nicht.
Natürlich ist das nur eine „kleine“ Auswahl und man muss natürlich nicht immer alle Fragen stellen, manche wurden vielleicht schon durch diverse Mails oder ähnlichen beantwortet.
Natürlich ist es auch immer schön, wenn ihr die Fragen personalisiert. 🙂
Was aber neben den Fragen auch noch sehr wichtig ist, dass ihr unbedingt vor einem Skypedate in eurem Au Pair Room die Informationen über die Familie nachlest um euch vor allem bei mehreren Vorschlägen nicht zu versprechen.. ;D
Dieser Fragenkatalog ist in verschiedene Kategorien unterteilt, die ich für sinnvoll gehalten habe 🙂
- Name of the family (First names of all members + surname)
- How much children do you have?
- How old are they?
- Where do you live? Which State? What is the next bigger city?
- What religion do you have? Is your religion important to you, if so: do you go to church and how often?
- Do relatives live nearby? Do other families with children live nearby?
- Do you own a house or do you live in an apartment?
- Do you have a (back)yard?
- Would it be okay for you to show me my room/ around the house?
Fragen zu den Kindern:
- Could you describe each childs personality and character a little bit?
- What do they like to do?
- What is their favourite food, toy, activity etc.?
- Will a child attend kindergarten/school during my year? If so, what classes do they attend? How many hours per day are they in school/kindergarten?
- Does any of the children have special needs?
- If so, what special need does the child have?
- Does any child take any medication? To what do I have to pay attention?
- How do you discipline your kids?
- What rules do the kids have to follow?
- Do the kids play together?
- Do I have to drive the children to school/kindergarten/their activities? Will I be driving them during the day? How far and how often?
- How much leisure time do they have?
- What do the kids usually do during summer break, e.g. do they go to Day-/Overnight-Camp?
- Do your kids have play dates during the week? Who organizes them?
- What can I do with the kids during my working time, – Zoo, children’s museums, playgrounds, amusement parks?
Fragen zur Childcare Arbeit:
- How would a typical day for me look like?
- Do I have a schedule?
- What will be my household duties?
- Could you describe my working hours?
Fragen zu den Eltern:
- What hobbies and interests do you have?
- Do you both work? If so, full time or part time? What are your professions? Do you have a lot of business trips?
- Could you please describe yourself and your husband/ wife?
- Which of you is home more often?
Fragen zur Freizeit/ Umgebung:
- What kind of area do you live in, e.g. can you tell me something about the climate/ landscape/ town?
- What is the public transportation system like, e.g. are there any busses/ trains..?
- What should a good Au pair have that would fit into your family?
- when do you need me?
- How will my first days upon my arrival look like, e.g. would you drive around with me and show me important places/ help me to set up a cell phone contract/open a bank account/ get my social security number/ driver´s license?
- How often do you eat together?
- Do you have any house rule, e.g. do I have a curfew? Would other au pairs be allowed to visit me during my free time/will I be allowed to have friends in my room
- What could I do in my free time in your area, e.g. are there any malls/ gyms..
- Do you have any pets? Am I responsible for the pets?
- Do you provide a car for me?
- Are there any restrictions on using the car?
- May I use the car in my spare time? Do I have to pay for the gas?
- Is there a possibility to study in your area?
- Where can I get more information about it/them?
- Do you have internet access at home? May I use it in my free time?
- Do you have any cameras around the house?
- How do you celebrate special holidays, such as Christmas/ Thanksgiving/ New Years Eve..?
- When you are going on vacation during my year, would you take me with you or am I supposed to stay home/go on a vacation trip?
- What was it about my application, that made you decide to contact me?
- How many au pairs did you have already?
- Do you have an au pair right now? Are you happy with her?
- May I talk to her or get her mail adress?
Fragen an das aktuelle Au Pair:
- How was your time as an au pair so far?
- How would you describe the family?
- Are you happy with the family?
- Does the family give you the feeling of being a member of the family?
- Which things do you like/dislike about the family?
- How were your first days? How did you feel, did you feel welcome?
- Did the family make any efforts to make you feel welcome/at home?
- How do you get along with the children?
- How would you describe your relationship with the children?
- What do you usually do with the children?
- What was the biggest problem you had with the parents/children?
- Do you talk about problems with your host parents?
- How would you describe your relationship with your host mum/dad?
- What are they for you?
- Do they back you up?
- Do you normally have dinner together with the family?
- Do you spent any of your free time with your host family?
- And do you celebrate holidays with the family or your friends? – How?
- How do you get along with your counselor?
- Are there a lot of au pairs in the region?
- Do other families with children live nearby?
- Could you send me an example of a typical working day for you via e-mail?
- Could you also leave a list of activities to do and places to go for me during my free time?
- How do you spend your weekends?
Fragen an dich:
- Why do you want to become an au pair?
- Are you worried about being away from your family and friends for a whole year?
- Have you ever been homesick? If so, how do you handle homesickness/will this be a big topic for you during the year?
- What will you miss the most about home?
- What does your family think about you becoming an au pair?
- What are your favorite foods?
- What foods would you like to cook for the kids, while we are not home?
- What are/were your favorite subjects in school?
- Would you be helping the kids with thei homework?
- How would you try to make the homework in the subject they like the least fun for kids?
- What things would you like to see while being in the US?
- What activities do you like to do with your family?
- What are your hobbies?
- Does your family or any of your friends plan to visit you in the US?
- Would it be okay for you to help in the household, e.g. help to do the dishes/set the table/cook dinner?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- What do you usually do on the weekend?
- How do you think being an au pair will be different from a high school exchange program?
- What are you looking for in a host family, e.g. what are your expectations of a host family, that you would consider?
- Are you rather shy or outgoing?
- Would you consider yourself an organized person, who can remember things and tasks given easily?